Western is staffed with exceptional computer staff to assist you in the creation of all law book and commercial publications. Western’s staff can assist with layout, design and technical difficulties you maybe experiencing during the formatting and styling of your printed publication. Western is able to fix technical issues over the telephone, via email and can remotely connect to your desktop (small software install on your computer). Please contact our IT Support Manager for more information. information.
FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is a common way for users to download or upload files to the Internet. This is an advanced method for submitting data feeds to Google Base and must be used for files over 20 MB in size.
Before you can upload to Western’s server using FTP, you’ll need to have your FTP username and password in order to access the server. If you do not have a username or password, please send a request to our IT Support Department.
There are two methods available for submitting your file via FTP. If you have not used FTP before, we recommend the first option as it’s easier to configure.
Option 1: FTP your data feed using a web browser
Recent versions of web browsers allow you to upload files by FTP relatively easily. You may need to upgrade your browser in order to use it to FTP your feed. Please note that if you’re using version 7.0 of Internet Explorer, uploading via FTP will not follow the steps below.
Here are links to the latest versions of popular web browsers:
To upload via FTP within your browser:
- Open a browser window.
- Type ftp://ftp.westernpub.com into the address bar and click Enter.
- You will be prompted to enter your FTP username and password and select Log On.
- You will probably see a blank window. However, you will be connected to the FTP server. Now simply drag and drop your feed into the browser window, and wait for the file to transfer. Once you have sent your file, the icon for the file will appear in the Internet Explorer window. The file is now uploaded.
Option 2: FTP your data feed using an FTP program
To use this method, you will need to have an FTP program, also known as an FTP client, installed on your computer. If you do not already have an FTP client, you can download one from the web. The following FTP clients are free to try. (Depending on your usage, you may have to pay for these programs after your trial runs out.) Click on one of these links to download the program from the web.
After you have downloaded and installed your FTP program, you will need to configure it so that you can connect to our FTP server. Your FTP client will need the following settings:
- Host name: uploads.google.com This is our FTP server where you will send your feed.
- User: the username you set up in your Google Base account
- Password: the password you set up in your Google Base account
- Logontype: should be set to normal, not anonymous. You may have to change this setting before you will be able to enter your username and password.
If you’re using FileZilla, the configuration settings in the FTP program should look similar to this:
Note: Other FTP clients will have different interfaces. Refer to your to your FTP client’s documentation for instructions.